Log in

No account? Create an account
28 June 2008 @ 12:11 pm
What a day  
Childbirth has nothing on foot surgery of any kind.  I got my toe looked at yesterday and the events that followed still leave me traumatized today.

I called Thursday morning to my usual medical place.  Its one building with every kind of doctor in it.  I've never used anyone other than my gynecologist, but I figured I'd give them a try first.  When I asked to make an appointment with the podiatrist I was told the earliest appointment was July 18th.  I told the receptionist that it was kind of an emergency.  She told me the doc wasn't in that day and to call back tomorrow to see if he could squeeze me in.  So, I call back Friday morning and this is what occurred:

Rep: Sorry, but he can't squeeze you in and neither can any of the other doctors.
Me: My toe is infected are you sure there is nothing you can do?
Rep: You can try the urgent care clinic.  The doc on call there specializes in allergies, but he might be able to give you a cream or something.
Me: You've got to be kidding me.
Rep: Do you want me to make an appointment?
Me: I'll get back to you on that.

I hung up with her and called another doctor I looked up in my policy directory.  The offered me an 11:15 appointment that I couldn't make because I had a stupid meeting I needed to attend at work and they close early on Fridays.  She offered me a Monday appointment.  I was like, I think I can make it to Monday, its infected, but I should be okay.  She was like, "Oh, its infected.  Hold on."  She comes back a few moments later and asks if I can come in at 12:30.  I was like, I'll be there. 

So, I get to the office and fill out the necessary paperwork while I wait.  When I'm called in, I meet the doctor and that's when I start to get a bad feeling about the whole thing.  The doctor, who had to be in his late 50's, looked like Dr. Brown from the Back to the Future movies.  His curly hair was all over the place and he had long-ish nails on each finger.  That threw me off a little since you don't see many doctors with long nails.  He looks at my toe and tells me that its not as bad as I thought it was.  Turns out that the nail wasn't ingrown.  In one of my many toe bashing incidents, I ripped the nail from the nail bed and the sharp nail cutting the skin created an absess.  This is where things went downhill fast.

He has to cut down the side of the nail which, thanks to franwi, I know now this is called "derooting."  He pulls out a metal wire snip-looking clipper.  I start to feel a little nervous.  He sprays a topical analgesic on my toe and tells me that it shouldn't hurt.  Well, he then proceeds to jam the snips under my nail and starts to cut.  It hurts.  I tell him this and say, "Not much, right?"  I'm like, no it hurts a whole lot.  So he stops and sprays it again and continues cutting.  At this point I have to look away.  My toe is gushing blood and he's yanking on the piece of nail he's just cut and oh yes, it still hurts.  My head is starting to spin.  I keep telling myself over and over to stay calm, he's almost done.  When the worst is over, he takes samples of the infected area to send to the lab and bandages me up.  He tells me that it will be sore for a day or two, but it should feel better.  My toe now hurts more than it ever did and is throbbing in time with my head.  He writes me a prescription for an antibiotic and tells me that I need to fill it immediately.  I didn't think the infection was that bad, but I guess this is a precaution.  He also gives me this betadine like stuff that I need to wash the wound with and change the dressing twice a day.  By this point I am near swooning.  I gather my things and as my vision begins to darken, I force myself to walk out of the office.  In some strange sense of pride, I didn't want to faint in the doctor's office.  I make it out into the hallway.  I am now dizzy and have broken out into a cold sweat.  I force my legs to walk to the elevator and take it back down.  Right outside the elevator are some steps that I sit on until I feel I can walk again.  Holy shit.  Never in my life have I swooned like that.  You read about these things, but I've never experienced it before.  And stupid me went back to work after all this.  The rest of the day was shot pretty much.  I left a little early to get my prescriptions filled. 

So, now I'm home.  I tell my in-laws about what happened and nearly swoon again.  In fact, everytime i think about it, my knees get a little weak.  I'm glad to be sitting down right now as I type this.  The doc wanted me to take two pills initially and then one pill twice a day.  So, I take the giant horse pills and feed and play with my son.  About an hour later, I stand up to bring him into his room when the nausea hits.  I put the baby on his play mat and I lay on the floor next to him.  My head is pounding like a bass drum and I'm sick to my stomach.  My husband called earler to tell me he was stuck at work.  After feeling like this for about a half hour, I called him and told him I needed him to come home now.  My husband called our doctor friend who called me to see what was going on.  He asked me what I had taken and what reaction I was having.  The double dose I had taken combined with an empty stomach was the problem.  He told me eat something right away and try to stay hydrated.  I did feel much better after I ate.  Then it came time to change the dressing.  I do not even want to look at my toe let alone clean and rebandage it.  I get through it somehow, whining like a baby the entire time.  It doesn't look as bad as I thought it would, but its still pretty damn creepy.  I basically passed out on the couch after that.

So, the morale of the story is to take care of your feet so that you never have to experience this.  My other toes are aching in sympathy right now.
Current Mood: blankblank
Franfranwi on June 28th, 2008 07:08 pm (UTC)
Hehehe - yes, I can laugh because I went through it as well. At least you only had one toe and one side done, right? I had both big toes, both sides done. I have very slender toenails now, since those sides don't grow back in. But just a topical spray to numb them? Yikes. I had five injections into each toe, which was extremely painful as well - maybe I would have preferred a topical spray! And yeah, the tugging is what really made me nauseous. I spent most of the procedure clutching a wastebasket. At least I had someone to drive me home. The doctor said to stay off my feet for 2-3 days, actually. I passed out on the couch as well. But at least the worst is over now and eventually your toe will start to feel a whole lot better!
evilkat_meowevilkat_meow on June 29th, 2008 05:21 pm (UTC)
Your nail didn't grow back?! This worries me. He only took the one side and it isn't super noticeable, but that doesn't mean I want it to stay that way. And I would have preferred a painful injection if that meant I wouldn't have felt him yanking off the nail.
Franfranwi on June 29th, 2008 09:04 pm (UTC)
Oh, you'd still feel all that yanking, even when it's numbed. But yeah, once it's cut out at the root that side shouldn't grow back in.
evilkat_meow: Yayoi- sadevilkat_meow on July 1st, 2008 12:23 am (UTC)
*cries* I want my nail back. I have another appointment tomorrow morning for the doctor to do a follow up and see how things are healing. I hope he's just going to be looking. I can't bear anything else.
rookafrk on June 29th, 2008 10:59 pm (UTC)
I'm sorry you had such a hard time! I hope you're already feeling much better now and that your husband could take good care of you during the week end (because, where are our men when we need them? XD)
evilkat_meowevilkat_meow on July 1st, 2008 12:25 am (UTC)
Him take care of me? Yeah right. Well, he did cook me dinner friday and sunday, so I guess that counts for something. My toe is feeling much better. Its still creepy, but at least its healing.
amelia cavendish: care_chan heeroyami_tai on July 2nd, 2008 04:39 pm (UTC)
Ewwwwwwwww, sounds horrendous! Still I'm glad that it's all sorted out for you now *huggles*!
evilkat_meowevilkat_meow on July 4th, 2008 07:38 pm (UTC)
It was pretty bad, but now that my toe has healed a bit I can see that its not as bad as I originally thought. I still never want to go through anything like that ever again. *hugs*